Thursday, August 6, 2009

Does My Email Address Scream Sucker?

I just posted this message on the Warrior Forum - it is the summary of what happened this evening with the call you will know I was eagerly awaiting from a woman who had offered to give me a free hours coaching to get my internet business started.
********************************************************************************************
Why is it do you think that some people just can't be honest with what they are doing? Don't they realize they can bring people down big time?

I am sorry if I seem a little upset but I have just spent yet another hour on the phone with a woman from England this time who was offering a free coaching session for an hour to help newbies get their internet business off the ground. She had explained in her promo email that her time was worth $1000 an hour but went on to say that because she was doing so well she wanted to give something back to a select group of newbies in the form of one free session.

Now I will give her her due - she did tell me at the begining of the conversation that she would try to sell me something at the end and i felt that was fine - I was under no obligation to buy but of course I felt that I would have gleaned some important little bits of information that would help me anyway, and if that information was valuable well of course I would consider her deal.

Well she was good, I mean really good. She had a prepared script and she led me like a lamb to the slaughter - asking me about my dreams, my niche, asking me to layout a course i could see myself doing online, really helping me get into the whole thing about what I could with my business online - I felt so good that it wasn't until the call only had ten minutes to go that she started talking sales talk and I realized that she had not actually given me any information at all apart from what she could teach me in the future - she went from being a mentor to a sales woman in five seconds flat.

Should I have expected it - the same thing happened to me last week as well. Am I that naive because when somebody tells me they want to help me and they will give an hour to me for free, that i believe them? Did I miss something in the jargon of "helping others', giving back and all of that stuff. When people say they are giving something and helping others is that just this giant con that I don't know about?

I have tried to be very restrained in this post but the reason why I am writing it at all is because I know there are a lot of newbies on the list who like me are going to look to those who have succeeded for some little gems of wisdom. I have also seen first hand how great this online community is in supporting others - you only have to look at the thread about Michael to realize that. And I have tried to do my little bit too - I am only new, but I have given advice and support where I can because that is what I believe a community is all about - don't the same rules apply outside of the warrior forum?

You notice that I haven't used the womans name or identifying site details at all - that is because despite the fact that I feel like she punched me in the chest when she told me her help was actually going to cost me more than $10,000USD and I looked through my notes and realized she hadn't given me one piece of information I didn't already know from reading the posts here, I am still a decent person and I don't think it is right to be rude about other people. But what she didn't realize and probably never will is that when you encourage a person to dream and dream big, and then you pull it away from them in ten seconds flat, that the pain and the disappointment is truly hard to deal with - I felt physically sick after that call.

I know we are all in this to make money - I don't have a problem with anyone coming along and asking me if they can give me a sales pitch - hey I will listen - but when somebody comes along instead in the guise of a mentor who ends up doing the sucker more harm than good I just don't think that is right.

That's my two cents worth. Thank you if you have managed to read this far, I appreciate it.

Lisa :(

*********************************************************************************************

You will understand if i don't write anything further today - hopefully a good nights sleep and I will be back on deck bristling with enthusiasm once again tomorrow.

Best wishes
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment